Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Wolves of Mercy Falls

I read The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy over the summer holiday in a last desperate grab of pointless fiction before the school term started. They are, if you must know, shamelessly genre typed into paranormal romance.  The paranormal factor here being Werewolves.

Alas, I did know this before I read them. The genre paranormal romance has always been sketchy, but it hasn't always rang bells of warning. Thanks to Twilight,  I now associate the genre with bad writing and corny characters. Which isn't true of EVERY book to the genre...These weren't absolutely dreadful. I read all THREE books. (They're decently short lengthed.)

General Overview: These are books set in Mercy Falls; a gloomy town in the north where it's super cold and there's a dark wood. There are also Werewolves. The general populous only knows that there is  a wolf problem and every few years there is an attack.

The main character, Grace, was attacked when she was younger, but still loves the wolves. One especial wolf that she looks forward to seeing every winter....

The wolves are changed by the weather, not the full moon. Prompting a strangely irritating avoidance of cooler temperatures throughout the book.




Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Enough depth of character and plot to keep you reading til the end. Though, there is definitely some creepiness there that borders bestiality/stalking. Is an okay read if you enjoy emo-ness, near bestiality, or stalking.

Linger

Was a better read than Shiver and the best book of the three. There's several point of views, and those point of views are from significantly different characters.  I'd recommend this to someone if they asked me  for a good fluff read about werewolves.

Forever

This one boils down to the author saying, "....Oh look I'm going to try and scientifically explain werewolves!! I FAILED!!! Do readers want resolution?! TOO BAD, LOSERZZZZZ!!!!"


 PROS: The version of Forever I read had red lettering. That's pretty awesome. You CAN tell that the author tried really hard to get good characterization, and it shows.

CONS: I've read better fanfictions.

0 comments: