Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Crown Duel

Well, the plot is peppered with clichés, the heroeine is dancing on the ledge of Mary-Sue-ism, and the fantasy elements occasionally leave something to be desired.

But is it a good read? Heck yes!

Countess Meliara's only wish is to live peacefully in her poverty-stricken homeland, running wild among the mysterious Hill Folk and dancing in the village with her best friend Oria. But when she begins to aid her father and brother in brewing a rebellion against the tyrannical King Galdran, a devastating war gets dumped on her doorstop, and the damage is irreparable.

The stakes are raised when, on a routine scouting mission, Meliara is horribly injured and captured by the enemy. However, after being taken to the King's palace and left to rot in a jail cell, she is given the chance to escape. Now a wanted criminal on the lamb, she's only got the clothes on her back and her wits to carry her through. But she finds help in unexpected places, from allies she thought to be enemies, and when the military war ends, the war at court begins, with Meliara in the center of the political whirlpool.

Granted, the sub-plots (mainly of a romantic nature) are predictable and thus rather boring. But overall, it's definitely a fun read, especially for any lover of fantasy. The saga of Meliara's flight from the palace was a page-turner, aided by a slew of cliff-hangers that almost made me fall off my bed with impatience. Sherwood Smith's writing style is sharp and fast-paced, and her characters run deeper than the kiddie pool, which was refreshing after my latest excursions into Philip Pullman's work. Sure, Meliara could be more well-rounded, and she has her Mary-Sue moments, but Smith creates a smart and persistent heroeine. She has personal weaknesses, but she also has enough strength to get her through the tough spots. She was a character I enjoyed following.

If you're looking for a meaningful, thought-provoking experience, I would put away Crown Duel and pick up something else. But if you're looking for an entertaining fantasy story and a cast of characters that delivers, I would definitely recommend it.

3 comments:

Aurora said...

0.0 I almost reviewed this yesterday! Seriously, that is really weird. I agree with you completely. A great read that isn't particularly deep and with cliche`s...Yet, so terribly engaging. It's weird how much you can like a book regardless of the fact you know it's Mary-Sue swashbuckling cliche. (I DO like this book. It's by my Robin McKinley books on the bookshelf.)

robin.c.s. said...

Haha, I should've known you'd have this book already. Definitely not a book that will change your life, but the writing is good and I figure if an author can keep me locked in my room all day reading, then she's doing something right.

Have you ever read anything else by Sherwood Smith? I haven't checked out any of her other books, and I'm wondering if that's something I should be doing...

Aurora said...

I've never seen anything else she's written. Just Crown Duel and Cour Duel which are apparently both in Crown Duel now. (Yeah, I bought the one book.)

But if I see on her shelf she'll be going home with me. (Her books that is.)