Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Move Aside Arthur!

The Dragon Queen by Alice Borchardt

Her parents were apagan queen and a Sidhe. She was raised by wolves. She was taught by a druid. Her name was Guenivere. This story takes the Arthur Myths and tells them from an infinitely more interesting side. In fact, Arthur only makes brief appearances. All for the better I say! Why? Because Borchardt manages to make a Guenivere that you will see as neither weak or loose. ( Which I see both of in books like The Once and Future King.)


This is the tale of her youth. Of her fight with the lovers, Merlin and Igrane. Of the epic battle to claim her right as the pagan Dragon Queen. This isn't the overwritten tale of knights and castles, but of Celtic warriors, priestesses, and druids.

The characters that populate this book are both primitive and amazingly complicated. It set in the time that the later pagan culture is meeting the early Christian. Both aspects manage to twine together to make a truly beautiful book.
You'll not be seeing a Guenivere locked in a tower or mooning over Lancelot. This is a princess that waits for no man! (Seriously, it's amazing-ness has me all choked up and unable to express it.)

" My eyes opened and I saw the vine begin at my shoulder. The sleeve of my shirt was gone, dissolved by the nameless power in this man's hand. Coiling spreading down my arm speaking in the statement of design and form of my people's belief that all is one, and endlessly varied procession of beauty-- joining, separating, searching, dreaming loving-- an indestructible and eternal panorama of creating that we can never, never love enough. Both spectator and participant, protector and destroyer, but above all, joined to the everlasting splendor that is it, us, and God."

Ooo, wow, it still gives me chills. I challenge you to read this book and not get chills at least once. Alice can really spin a tale. (She's Anne Rice's sister by the way. Don't let that turn you off her. She's much better.)

Only downside to this book is that the sequel isn't worth the effort. If you read this then I would definitely let it stand alone because The Raven Warrior is just a waste of time. I never made it all the way through it, to be honest. It just was that bad. Small warning: There is a rather graphic scene in the middle. Not involving two people, but graphic none the less. Just for you people who are easily squicked.


Go forth and read it!

0 comments: